Tuesday 23 September 2014

Rainy Day Biscuits

I've been asked by a co-blogger for a recipe for specific biscuits, the Rainy Day Biscuits. This is a recipe we found once in a library book of rainy-day activities. Therefore, we baked them when it rained, which wasn't often, so these were quite a treat.
As it is a rainy day today here, I thought it fitting to post it! The reason why I was asked to write it is this picture on the right: Xoc innocently looking at the camera as if his intentions towards the chocolate biscuits weren't obvious. I suppose the cookies do look promising, hehe!
My friend asked about the chocolate biscuits specifically, but I'll tell you something, they are the same as the others you see in the picture - they just have cocoa added.
So, without further ado, let me share with you one of the simplest recipes I've ever used, and yet, one of the yummiest!

Rainy Day Biscuits

Ingredients:
  • 300 g of normal flour
  • 200 g of margarine
  • 100 g of sugar
  • Decorations of your choice (dried fruit and nuts, candied fruit, chocolate chips, food colouring, etc.)
For chocolate biscuits:
  • 250 g of normal flour
  • 50 g of cocoa
  • 100 g of margarine
  • 50 g of sugar
Method:
  • Mix the flour, margarine and sugar up to make a soft dough (if you've chosen to bake the chocolate biscuits, mix in the cocoa as well).
  • Start heating the oven to 190ÂșC (375F)
  • Form little balls with the dough, and place them on a greased oven tray.
  • If you'd like coconut biscuits, take as many balls as you need and mix them back together, adding as many level tsp. of shredded coconut as balls you chose.
  • Press the balls gently with your fingers to a flat (about half a cm), round shape. To differentiate between the normal dough balls and the coconut dough balls, press the latter with a fork (if you're working with cocoa biscuits, you're done! Jump to the last instruction).
  • Candied orange, toasted almond
    chips, walnut, and pine nuts, plus a
    coconut one on the top right.
    Chocolate chips and chocolate
    sprinkles.
  • Decorate! Imagination is the highest kite one can fly, and the sky is the limit. On the right there are some pictures from my mum's blog from which you can get some ideas.
  • Bake for 12-15 minutes and take out tray from oven. After 2-3 minutes of cooling (needed! Otherwise they stick) remove biscuits from tray and place on a flat cooling surface.

If you're a fan of baking and really enjoy it, then you'll have to decide which part you've enjoyed the most... the baking or the eating! Difficult decision, don't you think?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's me and I've just signed out of my blog. I should have made these yesterday and again today. Two whole days of rain... Can you believe it?
Nice photos!
Love you 'a tonelades' Ma XX

Lady Violet said...

Oh, by the way, I'm going to the library on Friday, and I'll see what you have to do to make the choc. cookies. I have a hunch that you don't 'just add cocoa'!
I'll let you know. XX Ma

Lady Violet said...

We didn't call them 'chocolate sprinkles' :0
The real name is chocolate vermicelli.
XX Ma

A Joyful Heart said...

Thank you so much for posting the recipe!! I hope to try making them soon. I love the look of the chocolate ones and also the cute "fruit face" cookie!" =) Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, they look yummy! And what an easy recipe too...I don't have any excuse not to make them this autumn :D

-schmetterling

villamilita said...

Yummy... :D se ven deliciosas. =)