Sunday 3 November 2013

Seashells and Thoughts

On Friday we took advantage of the beautiful weather and drove to the beach for a walk with my dear Aunt, who is visiting us from England. While there I had time to think, and once home I wrote down the summary of my thoughts.

Excerpt from my book:
I used that opportunity to check for seashells for a project I have in mind. It is quite difficult and discouraging during this time of the year because I need a very specific type, size and shape of seashell, and there aren't that many around (perhaps I found three that met the conditions). (...) 
As I was searching among the piles and groups of shells, I saw several broken ones to which I didn't glance a second time. I was alone, a bit behind the rest of the group, so I had time to think. As I searched and checked for good samples, I realized that during my long "career" as a seashell collector, I had always discarded those shells which were broken or had some imperfection (unless that added to its "interestingness", which was seldom). Immediately I thought of that verse in Isaiah 42:3, the first part of which runs, 
"A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench."
I was so thankful that moment for the Lord's mercy, for God's love and care towards me in spite of my brokenness and utter imperfection! If He were to follow that other attitude, who would yet live? For "there is none that doeth good, no, not one"! (Psalm 14:3, second part). But praises be to the Father who loved us enough as to send His only Son, who, "by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified." (Hebrews 10:14). We may be broken, full of flaws and sin, but through our Lord's sacrifice we are made perfect!
What love!!! 
I just thought I would share that part of my journal with you... [smile].

No comments: