Sunday 7 February 2010

Ponderings

Yesterday night I couldn't sleep. It was half past twelve a.m. and I kept tossing and turning in my bed.
So I climbed down my top bunkbed and decided to read the Bible for a while, because there was something I'd read in prayer meeting I wanted to check.
We had read 2 Peter, chapter 1. These are the parts that were highlighted:

"For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."
Verses 5 to 8

Then I continued reading on my own, and read, 

"But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins" 
Verse 9

And I started to think... and realised I have to work on that, because, more than anything, I know I lack in perseverance (although it would make it clearer if I said that it's translated as "patience" in the Spanish version). But that wasn't the point I wanted to make. What really stood out to me were the following verses:

"So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have. I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things."
Verses 12 to 15
The last verse stood out to me especially, and later that night, while I couldn't sleep, I opened the Bible again to that verse, and thought for a while.
I wondered if Peter had any idea of the way we would be reminded of his words... If he had any idea of how we would always remember these things, the things he had written, such a long time after his departure from this world.
And I marveled at God's awesomeness because, after such a long time (Peter wrote that about 2000 years ago), after so many persecutions and after all that Christianity has suffered... we still have a Bible in our hands, with true words spoken and written years and years ago.


2 comments:

Marian said...

I've always liked this song, but didn't find out the name of it until watching Cranford 2, and I never had read the lyrics until now. That's really sad! :(

Marian said...

oops, sorry, I commented on the wrong post... :P