Friday 30 January 2015

We Have This Moment Today

Today, as I hung the laundry and sung along in harmony to a song by one of my friends and her family, I have been reminded of what a gift we have in the moment of NOW!

Originally written by Bill Gaither, this song has the capacity of sending thrills down my spine and giving me goose bumps every single time I listen to it. It's a song that challenges you to appreciate the small things of life, to enjoy, live and make the most of the present, because that's what we get - now. Yesterday's gone and tomorrow may never come.

This is the only decent version I have found on the Internet. There are plenty of others, but they had speeches or they were live. This version does not convey the feeling to me as my friends' version, but it is still sung lovely:



We Have This Moment Today
Hold tight to the sound of the music of living,
Happy songs from the laughter of children at play;
Hold my hand as we run through the sweet fragrant meadows,
Making mem'ries of what was today.
Chorus:
We have this moment to hold in our hands
and to touch as it slips through our fingers like sand;
Yesterday's gone and tomorrow may never come,
But we have this moment today.
Tiny voice that I hear is my little girl calling,
For Daddy to hear just what she has to say;
And my little son running there by the hillside,
May never be quite like today.
Tender words, gentle touch and a good cup of coffee,
And someone who loves me and wants me to stay;
Hold them near while they're here and don't wait for tomorrow
To look back and wish for today. 
Take the blue of the sky and the green of the forest,
And the gold and the brown of the freshly mown hay;
Add the pale shades of spring and the circus of autumn,
And weave you a lovely today.

Do we truly appreciate what we have been given? Do we recognize our happy family moments and small daily details as a gift and enjoy them in the moment?

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Wow, what a great reminder to treasure every moment we've been given. It's scary how time flies so fast! :)