Saturday 14 April 2007

A Poem I Like

The Glove and the Lions,

By Leagh Hunt


King Fransis was a hearty king, and loved a royal sport.
And one day, as his lions fought, sat looking on the court.
The nobles filled the benches with the ladies in their pride,
And amongst them sat the Count De'Lorge with one for whom he sighed.
And truly t’was a gallant thing, to see that crowning show,
Valour, and love, and the king above, and the royal beasts below.
Ramped and roared the lion, with horrid laughing jaws.
They bit, they glared, gave blows like beams, and a wind went with their paws.
With wallowing might, and stifled roar, they rolled on one-another,
Till all the pit, with sand and mane, was in a thunderous smother!
The bloody foam above the bars came whisking through the air.
Said Fransis then, "Faith gentlemen! We're better here then there!"
De'Lorge's love ore’heard the king,
A beauteous, lively dame,
With smiling lips and sharp bright eyes which always seemed the same.
She thought, "The Count my lover is as brave as brave can be,
He would surely do wondrous things to prove his love for me,
Kings, ladies, lovers all look on!
The time is divine!
I'll drop my glove, to prove his love! Great glory will be mine!"
She dropped her glove, to prove his love, then looked at him and smiled.
He bowed, and in a moment, leaped among the lions wild!
The leap was quick, the return was quick, he had regained his place.
He threw the glove, but not with love, right in the lady's face!
"In truth!" cried Fransis, "Rightly done!" as he rose from where he sat.
"No love love," quoth he, "but vanity sets a lover task like that!"

My best friend sent me this poem once, because she thought I would like it. And I did. I hope you do too!!

No comments: