Wednesday 21 September 2011

When Photography Gets Frustrating

This morning, as my Mum drove us to school, I could see beautiful lines created by airplanes across the sky. They were everywehere. It was interesting how they were shaped, because there was a central spot in which each of them got to, parallely, and then they would all change route. Some would go left, others would go right, some would go straight on, and others would just vary their course a little bit, creating a pattern that first was lineal and all of a sudden was a muddled mess of lines going everywhere.
It was just past eight a.m. and the sun was starting to peep over the mountains, which gave a peaceful atmosphere thanks to the golden, bright light we still have. The sky was blue, and when I say blue, I mean blue. Because of the sun's golden light, the vineyards were such a vivid green it was breathtaking. Everything was perfect for a beautiful morning picture. So where is the problem? We were going to school, so 1., we couldn't stop (else we'd be late) and 2., I didn't have my camera with me. That is when photography gets frustrating.

Other examples in which photography gets frustrating? Those in which you discover you don't have the guts to go up to someone and ask, "Excuse me, can I take a picture of you?", or those in which you don't have them to take the picture and then walk up to that person and ask, "Excuse me, can I keep this picture?" I was in Barcelona a couple of weeks ago with a friend, and we went to a Burger King for lunch. We were both sitting there just chatting, and all of a sudden we hear this booooming laugh. A really happy, loud laugh. It made me want to laugh too. We looked over from where the laugh was coming, and there were four black people sitting and chatting and laughing, and the man that was laughing was completely a.w.e.s.o.m.e. He had the most amazing hat on, and he was wearing an extremely colourful striped shirt, leaning casually on the handrail he was sitting by. Oh, how I wish now, when I look back, that I would have gotten up, walked up to him and asked, "Excuse me, can I take a picture of you?" My friend kept telling me to do it, but I wouldn't dare!! I'm not a particular shy person, but when it gets to street photography, and taking pics of people I don't know, I'm an impossible case.

Another example? Yep, I've got a list of frustrating photography times. That time I walked out of a shop and there was a little boy licking at his ice-cream cone, with ice-cream about everywhere on his person but on the cone? Yeah, that's another time. There are more, oooh, so many other times in which I wish I would have taken such-and-such a picture, but now I can only look back and hope that all these frustrating times will give me enough "strength" and "encouragement" next time I'm in the same situation.


So, try not missing pictures because of a cause you could avoid, because they will haunt you for the rest of your life. I leave it at that.

By the way, these pictures are just samples of pictures I've taken with a camera I wasn't supposed to have with me at the moment. A camera I didn't need at that moment, but that I had taken along with me just in case, if you know what I mean. They're far from perfect, but they're the kind of picture I look at and think, "How happy I am I had my camera with me back then. :)"

2 comments:

Marian said...

I like those photos, especially the one of the train! And I'm the same--I see the most beautiful photos on my way to school, or somewhere I thought I didn't need my camera. Sometimes the memories are just as nice, though. :)

Andreu said...

I had the same thing happen to me... the sky was full of them. That means the air up there is very cold and humid (typical thing to happen on an autum or winter morning. I sure enjoyed seeing them while I was driving to work!

Your Cousin Andreu :)