Tuesday 11 September 2007

Two Books

I have lately read two books that really had an impact on me.

The first one was “The Persecutor”, also known as “Forgive Me, Natasha” (the old version). Written by Sergei Kourdakov, a strong Comunnist since a young age, and later a persecutor of the Christian faith. He did his job well, too. Christian people suffered very much under his hand. But mostly, this books shows God’s love, forgiveness and mercy towards sinners… after saving him with a miracle (he was escaping from Russia, and had to swim in a terrible storm from a boat to Canadian coasts. He spent five hours in the freezing water, and survived!), Sergei converted to Christianity. I wept while reading this book.
Sergei was killed at the day he turned twenty-two… on his birthday.

The second book was about a missionary called Gladys Aylward. This book also is a beautiful book about God’s wonderful care to His people. Gladys went to China, and did great things. She worked faithfully, keeping her faith in the Lord, and lived through the Japanese war. She saved hundreds of orphan children, and helped wherever she went. She became a great friend of the Mandrin who ruled where she lived, and also helped to destroy the law of bounding feet of all women and girls. She did a great job in China, and this books was one I enjoyed tremendously, and I was very amazed at how great a work she did!

I recommend these books to anyone who likes to read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Gem!! I like your book reviews very much. I feel like reading the first one, it sounds like a very gripping story. I also read Gladys' biography, many years ago, and I also find it very inspiring... it helps remind us of how much more we can do for the Lord... may He guide us in His will and that we may know how to serve Him better each day.

I love you, Gemmy.