Tuesday 16 June 2009

Unexpected Answer

I'd been looking forward to that for a long time. My friend had finally healed from a broken knee and we would be able to go ice-skating with a group of friends! We had been planning that outing since January. Then, she'd had an accident and the trip was postponed till her leg healed.
And so, she healed, and phoned me telling me that there was already a date to go ice-skating. I was so excited! I love ice-skating, and this would be special because one, I would go with friends I hadn't seen for like more than six months, and two, we were going to ice-skate in the Barça ice-skating ring!! So yes, it was going to be special.
Then my Dad pointed out, "But we have prayer meeting that afternoon...". So I asked what was better to do (which now appears pretty obvious to me, but didn't then), and he left the decision for me to make. I know that I should have decided right then and there, but for two days I struggled with it. Missing ice-skating would be missing all that which I've explained earlier, plus I would probably never have another opportunity like it.
After two days I was talking to my Mummy, and she pointed out, "I know it's a difficult decision, but it should have been instant, girl," and so I decided to stay and go to prayer meeting. I knew I was doing the right thing, but I felt disappointed and bitter at missing such a wonderful opportunity with my friends.
Next day when we finished the meeting, I went upstairs to my bedroom to do some work. I had plenty of these calendar papers with thoughts and verses that I had to organise and choose from, and so I sat down on my desk and started reading them. I still felt bad about having missed the ice-skating.
Then something quite unexpected happened. I picked up one of the papers, and read, "...we're quick to absent ourselves from the gatherings of the saints for the most inconsequential reasons[...]. Often we assume we won't be missed - our text suggests otherwise! Empty seats don't have the ability to worship or fellowship - saints who fill those seats do." (W. H. Gustafson).
This text struck me, and made me think a lot. After reading it again and ponder about it, I realised the feeling of bitterness had left and I didn't mind having missed the ice-skating at all!! I realised too then the importance of worshipping.
After reading that little piece of paper with ink on it, I felt so blessed. And a good lesson was learnt too.

2 comments:

Jare said...

Wow MoonShaw, that is a great testimony.
Thank you so much for sharing it.

-L

Hannah Marie said...

Thanks you for following my blog as well.
God bless :)