Tuesday 29 September 2009

On Rage And Inner Strength

"As to answering, though," said Sara, trying to console herself, "I don't answer very often. I never answer when I can help it. When people are insulting you, there is nothing so good for them as not to say a word - just to look at them and [b]think[/b]. Miss Minchin turns pale with rage when I do it, Miss Amelia looks frightened, and so do the girls. When you willl not fly into a passion people know you are stronger than they are, because you are strong enough to hold in your rage, and they are not, and they say stupid things they wish they hadn't said afterward. There's nothing so strong as rage, except what makes you hold it in - that's stronger. It's a good thing not to answer your enemies. I scarcely ever do. Perhaps Emily is more like me than I am like myself. Perhaps she would rather not answer her friends, even. She keeps it all in her heart."

Sara Crewe, "A Little Princess" by Frances Hodgson Burnett

6 comments:

LocaChica said...

I love it!!

hazel marie said...

Wonderfully true!

Rachel Kimberly said...

Great quote, and I love that book!

It reminds me of the part of the Bible when Jesus is taken to Herod (and Pilate) and says almost nothing when he is questioned and mocked.

Marian said...

great excerpt; that's such a good story!

mariposa said...

I love that book :)

By the way, thanks for the comment you left on my blog a while back!

joygirl said...

that is great! I like it!