Friday 11 September 2009

Those Two Reviews

I mentioned before two reviews I had written on some books I had read, and said that I would post them here. So here you go!

The Stonwycke Trilogy by Michael Phillips and Judith Pella (The Heather Hills of Stonewycke, Flight From Stonwycke and The Lady of Stonewycke)
As a started, I must say that it's a good thing that I had the whole trilogy to read instead of only one book, or even two. The three books are so attached it would be near to impossible to read only one of them. Except for the last book (obviously), all books finish abruptly, leaving you in a terribly intriguing way with the ended book in your hands.
On the other hand, you wouldn't even have to finish the book to be intrigued. Chapters would often finish leaving you to wonder what was going to happen, and when you continued with the next chapter, this one would start with a totally different subject that kept you reading till the end to know what happened after the last chapter.
Let's say that these books were written to be read from start to end.
I have enjoyed reading these books, but I noticed a couple of things that weren't to my taste: one was that the author made the hero/heroine go through every trouble, disgrace and problem that could be dreamed up. It wasn't like that something happened and the he/she had to face and solve it. No, everything bad happened; it was even exaggerated, and it drove me up the wall the way all the nasty things piled on them.
Truth be said, though, that I really live books and spent half the time crying, so maybe it's just my way of seeing things.
Another thing I didn't altogether like was the speed with which everything gets solved. Meaning, there have been all these problems and disgraces that are actually the whole content of the three books, and then in the third and last one everything gets solved in just a few pages. No development of what happens when they actually solve everything. Only one scene is properly described to my taste on this subject.
There are many things in the books that I did enjoy, though. One thing that really caught my attention was the way forgiveness was pictured in the Trilogy. In all three books there is a part where one main character turns to God for forgiveness, and after some time learns to forgive those who have caused his/her grief, and even has to learn to forgive himself. It really made me ponder about the play forgiveness took on these books, and I did finally see that once we are forgiven, we are saved, but if we also learn to forgive we find His peace. With hate and bitterness against someone in our hearts we aren't capable to enjoy His love in its full measure.
A beautiful lesson can be learnt from these books.
And of course... I couldn't miss it... I find that I must mention the love story that takes part in the plot... a story of unconditional love, a patient love, a love that waits for ever. A love that protects and believes. (Spoiler) Even after nearly thirty years of believing each other dead, they still cling to their love for each other, and when they finally find out that both are alive, they have their reward for their patience and trust in God.
I can say nothing more that wouldn't spoil the story for those who want to read it... but all in all, I recommend the read of these books. Out of five starts, I'd give three and a half.

Dana's Valley by Janette Oke
This book was extremely emotional. My parents gave me permission to stay up late one night, and I settled down with the book at about half past ten p.m. At about half past one or quarter to two a.m. I had finished reading it, and had cried all through the book. Really, it was a very challenging book to keep on reading, and heart-breaking.
Dana was a young teenager who was suddenly diagnosed with leukaemia (I say suddenly because they had told her first that she had lupus, a common yet dangerous illness in teenage girls). She was one of four in a Christian family, but even in a book, it was ripping to read about the kids' struggles and pains as the family battles along with Dana during her illness.
Dana's patience and growing faith was astonishing, but also a big contrast to Erin (the main character) and her wavering and weakening faith as her world and dreams crumple around her because of her sister's illness, and to Brett's own situation as he struggles along his late teen years without his parents' attention; consequently, both turn away from God's ways and refuse to believe Him in control of the situation.
Corey was the only one who somewhat kept everyone going on with his childlike view of the situation and six-year-old faith, diligently praying every day.
Janette Oke's writing really is to my pleasing. I really like the way in which this book finished, and the way she developed the end. How Erin talked to her Mother and Father, how she thought about her relationship with her Christian friends, especially Graham's, the pastor's son, and how Dana served to her as an example to turn again to God for help and comfort and starts praying again; how Brett considered his situation and his friends (he had gotten into skateboarding and had not very good friends from the skate-park), how he had gone to live on his own after leaving High School, how he thought about his role as the older brother of a dying girl; the end of this book really pleased me, though I cried all the more when it ended because of Dana's death.
When I closed the book after finishing it, I couldn't help but close my eyes and pray. This book was a challenge, but yet it was beautiful to read. The way God mends souls! He is far so much greater than what we can imagine Him to be.
I also recommend this book!

No comments: